Have you got some questions about using and printing digital sewing patterns? You’ll find out how to use them here, along with some frequently asked questions.
What do you get when you purchase a pattern?
Below The Kōwhai digital sewing patterns offer well fitting patterns for Women and Children. Along with your sewing pattern (with seam allowances included) you’ll also receive a comprehensive photo tutorial with tips and tricks to guide you in your sewing along the way.
Any level of sewing skills will be able to make our garments, they have been designed and taught with all levels in mind.
Most of our sewing patterns are digital – you will be emailed the files to print yourself. Please read the descriptions carefully to make sure you are purchasing the correct pattern!
Accessing your files
Once purchased, your pattern and tutorial will be instantly emailed to you. You can save these files to your computer or you can access them in the “My Downloads” section of this website any time, anywhere.
In the future I may revise and update the sewing patterns, so if you’re sewing in the future check “My Downloads” to grab the latest version of your pattern!
You can download your pattern and tutorial files as many times as you like! That’s the beauty of a digital sewing pattern!
How can I view my patterns?
You can view them on your device (computer, ipad, tablet, smart phone etc) using Adobe Acrobat or Mac PDF viewer. Most computers have these to view files with or you can download them for free using the provided link.
Printing your files
You can print your pattern at home on A4 or US Letter paper in black and white. Please view your tutorial on your device as you sew to save your ink and our trees!
- Open up your Pattern file
- Click Print
- Check that the pattern is printing to “100%” scale (as shown), OR “do not scale”
- Double check that it is NOT printing as “scale to fit” (it will come out the wrong size!)
- Print the first page and check the measurement box is to the correct size
- All good? Print the rest at 100% scale.
Cutting your pattern
- Lay out your pattern pieces on the floor in their number order. You’ll find the layout guide in your tutorial.
- Starting from the top, trim off the left edge of each bounding box on each pattern piece
- Align this with the quarter-circle in the corner of each bounding box.
4. Tape (or glue) carefully in place so that the corners meet, and any pattern markings align along the edge.
5. Complete the whole row from left to right and start on the next row underneath.
6. For the second, and consecutive rows, trim off the top of the bounding box, along with the left edges.
7. Meet all of the pages in the centre so the markings create a neat and even circle, and all the pattern markings match along the edges.
That’s it! Easy peasy, right?
From here you can either trace off your pattern (some people like to do this so they can reuse the master again and again), or you can cut around your required size and use your pattern pieces to cut your fabric out!
Got more questions?
FAQ coming soon! In the mean time, email me on email@example.com or jump into the VIP facebook community to ask any questions.