The Honu Vest – Classic is a practical, timeless, and cosy layer for your child’s wardrobe.
For a professional fit and finish, great consideration has been given to the drafting and construction of this garment:
- Trust us to hold your hand through sewing with fluffy fabrics with our sewing guide!
- We’ll teach you a professional-tailoring-standard method of sewing together this garment for a perfect finish for all fabric types
- Unique pattern pieces for the lining mean no topstitching is required and no linings poke out.
These considerations will ensure your sewing, even that of beginners, is top quality, and adapted for using medium-heavy weight, and fluffy fabrics.
This sewing pattern is designed for the front to meet in the centre using a hook and eye, button and loop, or tie closure.
Variations include a selection of corners, hems, and lengths so you can really create your own style to suit!
Honu is the Māori name for turtle. Some species can be found in New Zealand’s Northern waters. Pronounce honu like “hoh-new” in English.
- Instant PDF digital download
- Children’s sizes 1-10 / Tween 8-14
- Short (cropped) and long lengths
- Cornered and curved front variations
- Straight and curved back hem
- Front patch pockets (suitable for long length variation)
- Unique pattern pieces for main and lining fabrics, meaning no top stitching or pesky lining poking out the front!
- Guide for using fluffy fabrics
- PDF Includes: A4 / Letter format to print at home, A0 copy shop version, and specialty Projector File
- Full tutorial, photos and support to help you create this Children’s Vest
- Video Tutorial included
This garment is for all seasons, but is especially suited to:
Main: Medium-heavy weight fabrics including cotton, linen, corduroy, velvet, wool, fluffy & shaggy fabrics, fleece etc.
Lining: Light-medium weight fabrics including cotton, poly cotton, linen etc.
Fit and Fabric:
This pattern has been created using Standard UK Measurements. The sizing might seem different to what you usually buy in stores. Therefore, use the size the chart says you are to fit the chest, and if required, lengthen or shorten the pattern as needed.
The finished garment will fit a child’s neck, shoulders and arms with the garment landing at waist (short version), or mid-bum (long version).
Additional Notions Required:
- Closure: Hook and eye / button
- Sewing thread.
- Scissors, pins, sewing machine.
What You Get When You Purchase:
Digital file emailed and stored in your Below the Kōwhai account for future use. Includes files for pattern to print at home, A0 copy shop pattern, specialty projector file, and instructions.
Downloads are also be available in the “My Account + Downloads” section of this website when you are logged in.
What’s a PDF?
A digital document viewable in Adobe Acrobat Reader (download for free here). You will be able to save, view and print these documents on your computer or device.
Returns and Support:
This is a digital product that can be saved to your computer. Therefore, I am not able to offer returns on any purchase unless at some fault of my own. Please choose carefully and make sure you are purchasing the correct pattern, and you have used a correct email address!
In lieu of returns I offer comprehensive online support to those who are sewing! You can contact me on Facebook, Instagram and email, and you can expect a prompt reply! I will endeavour to help you in any way I can.
So, what are you waiting for? Create your own Honu Vest – Classic with this pattern and show off your creations!
This sewing pattern is by Sophie Laughton-Mutu. Sewists and children around the world have tested this pattern. Please leave a review, or pop over to our Facebook VIP Community to show us a photo of your finished Honu Vest!